Graduate Conversation Partners meet one-on-one with English language learners to help them improve their language proficiency. In addition to assisting undergraduate learners, graduate Conversation Partners may help graduate ELLs who are honing their speaking and pronunciation skills for conferences and TAships; reading comprehension for graduate-level coursework across disciplines; and assisting with the development of various research and administrative projects associated with language learning at our center.
Graduate Conversation Partner positions are Teaching Assistantships; they carry stipends, tuition remission and benefits in accordance with the current TUGSA contract. We offer full-time (20 hours per week), half-time (10 hours per week) and quarter-time (5 hours per week) positions. The work hours are flexible and can be scheduled around other obligations.
Who can apply:
Ph.D./Ed.D. students from all academic disciplines are eligible to apply. We particularly welcome applicants who:
- have completed their doctoral coursework
- have at least three years of college-level teaching experience (preferably at Temple)
- are reflective about their teaching practice
- enjoy working one-on-one with diverse groups of language learners
- have working knowledge of a foreign language (preference given to Spanish, Arabic, French, Italian, and Japanese speakers)
How to apply:
Submit the following materials (by email attachment) to Elisabeth Ursell:
- Application form
- Cover letter
- A recent academic writing samples (e.g. seminar papers, conference papers, dissertation prospectus, etc.)
- A teaching philosophy, sample syllabus, or lesson plan
Current openings and application deadlines:
We are accepting applications for fall 2019 from April 22-May 6, 2019.